The Bismarck Fire Department responded to a fire that started in the fire-place chute of a home located at 1700 block of E. Omaha Dr. just after 1 a.m.

The house occupants and the family dog made it out of the burning house safely, but they are displaced. More than 15 fire fighters responded to the scene to extinguish the fire.

Graphic Stock

MDU and the fire department Chaplin responded to the fire.

This was the first time the occupant used the fireplace of the season, and this serves as a reminder to make sure your fireplace and chute is safe and ready for the winter season.