Inauguration Day 2017: A Schedule of Events
After one of the most contentious presidential campaigns in memory, Donald J. Trump has been sworn in as President of the United States. Inaugural events are scheduled throughout the weekend. Here is a look at what to expect:
- Around 9:30 a.m. ET, Trump and President Obama will ride together from the White House to the Capitol, where the inauguration will take place.
- At 11:30, opening remarks will begin, followed by the swearing-in ceremonies of Vice President-elect Mike Pence and then President-elect Trump. (You can watch that live here.)
- Following his swearing-in, Trump will deliver his inaugural address. This is typically an upbeat affair, an attempt to celebrate the peaceful transfer of power from one administration to the next, with a focus on unifying themes for the country following the election.
- From 3 to 5 p.m. there will be an inaugural parade, from the Capitol down Pennsylvania Avenue to the White House.
- Then, starting at 7 o'clock, a series of inaugural balls take place around Washington, D.C. Trump and his family are expected to appear at all three.