North Dakotans: Your 4th Of July BBQ Is Going To Cost You More This Year!
Fourth of July Gets Spendy!
We love to fire up the grill and feed all of our friends, neighbors, and family members, but how much is that costing us? According to the American Farm Bureau, the cost of a 4th of July cookout is up 17 percent, compared to last year.
The Farm Bureau shows that the average cost of 2 lbs of ground hamburger will run you approximately $11.12 -- that's a 36 percent increase from last year. WOW.
Listing The Costs Of 4th Of July Essentials
The Farm Bureau also listed the increased prices of several other food items, that may be essential to your summer BBQ.
- 2 lbs Ground Hamburger - $11.12 (36 % increase)
- 2 lbs Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts - $8.99 (33 % increase)
- 32 Ounces Pork & Beans - $2.53 (33 % increase)
- 3 lbs Center Cut Pork Chops - $15.26 (31 % increase)
- 8 Hamburger Buns - $1.93 (16 % increase)
- Half Gallon, Vanilla Ice Cream - $5.16 (10 % increase)
- 16 Ounce Bag Potato Chips - $4.71 (Down 4 %)
- 1 lb Sliced Cheese - $3.53 - (Down 13 %)
The Farm Bureau estimates the average US consumer will spend approximately $69.68 on food for the Fourth of July holiday. That estimate is for a cookout with 10 people attending.
There are a number of things that could be contributing to these increases. According to the NY Times, the reason meat products are more expensive, is because of supply chain issues and labor shortages.
To Celebrate, Or Not To Celebrate?
Will these increases stop us from grilling out and celebrating? -- No, probably not. At most, we may invite a few less neighbors (maybe the guy who lets his dog poo in your lawn, or the young couple that bump their music at 4am). Most of us will carry on as usual, and just take the financial hit. Not without groaning about it though.
In any case, have a fun and delicious 4th of July & thanks for reading!
In BisMan - 5 Places NOT A Good Idea To Set Off Firworks
The Ten Most-Watched Movies on Netflix Right Now