The last time the Philadelphia Eagles started 2-0 after two games on the road, it was 1949. That will still be the case next season.

The Kansas City Chiefs found the end zone twice in the fourth quarter and it was just enough to hold off Carson Wentz and the Philadelphia Eagles, 27-20.

Alex Smith finished 21-28 for 251 yards and a touchdown and Travis Kelce finished with 103 yards receiving on 8 catches and what was the go-ahead touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Carson Wentz went 25-46 for 333 yards with 2 touchdowns and an interception that led to the Chiefs go-ahead score in the fourth quarter.

It seemed like a defensive struggle for much of the first half. Both teams traded field goals on their opening drives.

In the second quarter, a Darren Sproles fumble in Eagles territory led to a Chiefs field goal that would put them up 6-3. Wentz and Zach Ertz put the Eagles in a great position to tie it going into the half with a 53-yard pass and catch off a defender, but newly acquired kicker Jake Elliott missed a 30-yard field goal and it was 6-3 at the half.

The third quarter saw the team's trade touchdowns. Wentz led the Eagles on a 7 play, 81 yard drive capped off by a 15-yard touchdown throw from Wentz to Alshon Jeffrey. But on the ensuing Kansas City drive, rookie running back Kareem Hunt broke loose for a 53-yard touchdown to make it 13-10 entering the fourth quarter.

Philadelphia would tie it with a 40-yard field goal from Elliott with 11:57 remaining. Then, with just less than 10 minutes remaining, Wentz was intercepted by Kansas City defensive end Chris Jones at the Eagles 28. A few plays later, Alex Smith shovel passed to Kelce who would run and then leap his way into the end zone from 15 yards out to give the Chiefs the lead for good.

After an Eagles punt, the Chiefs needed just 6 plays for 56 yards and finished off on a 2-yard touchdown run from Hunt to go up 27-13 with just 2:14 remaining.

Wentz would lead the Eagles down the field for what seemed like a too little, too late touchdown with just 8 seconds left on a 9-yard pass to Nelson Agholor. But it wasn't quite over. Philadelphia recovered the onside kick at their own 46. The Eagles had one play left with just 5 seconds on the clock. Wentz threw into the end zone in a sea of receivers and defenders, but Kansas City knocked down the Hail Mary throw, batting it out of the end zone with no time remaining.

Jeffrey finished with 7 catches for 92 yards and the touchdown. Ertz had 5 catches for 96 yards.

Philadelphia will play their home opener against the New York Giants next Sunday at noon.

More From Super Talk 1270